roliana
Have a goal on Roliana? Record your progress here
Hello and welcome! I am doing well. Yourself?
Haven't been up to much tonight. Aside from being on Roli, I'm updating my GPS software and maps. Also debating on playing my 3DS or doing some reading. How about you?

Im doing ok. My husband and I are just chilling on the couch. He is on his phone so I am on roli. Im debating on going to bed. I had a long day. Meetings all day and then I started belly dancing classes with a friend.
Ooh! A fellow dancer! Do you like it so far? I miss my regular belly dance classes. I had to give them up when I changed jobs because I am rarely in my home state. I usually can manage time off for the Great Lakes Belly Dance Convention and a workshop once in a blue moon. Have you been to any haflas yet? They're loads of fun!

@~Coyote~

Yes, yes it is!
And Skyzone is a jumping park. It's got all kinds of stuff, though. A jumping zone, a dodgeball arena with trampolines, rock wall, foam zone (I actually got stuck in that because the foam cubes sucked trying to get out of. Holy crap lol)
I had a lot of fun, but I was paying for it on Sunday with an aching back and sore almost everything. Note to self: get back in shape before you try to go back.

Ah, hell, that sounds awful! I'd go stir crazy too if I wasn't working. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy but it's just how I am. I'm kind of a workaholic at times. I work in a factory so it's almost required to be.

How was the concert????? :)

Hi, maskeddream!
That sounds super fun! I've never been to a place that had all that. There used to be an arcade place that had a rock wall, laser tag and mini golf built into it, but that is like an hour and a half away from where I live. I don't even know if it is still open now. I think it was called Zapzone? Wonder if it has any affiliation with Skyzone?

The out of shape feeling does suck. I don't run much since I twisted my ankle really bad on a highway job down in Florida last July. I can still dance without an issue, but if I put a lot of pressure on it for an extended period of time, my ankle starts to hurt. so when we are supposed to be driving to a new job site across multiple states, keeping my foot on a gas pedal for 11 to 12 hours really kills it the next day. It gets a little better with each passing month, so I don't expect it to be a hindrance in the long run.

I haven't gone to the concert yet, it is on Sunday. Apparently some band called Bleachers is opening for her. I've never heard of them, but I really don't follow pop music, I just happen to like P!nk. Lol! I'll let you know how it goes, though!

Got any weekend plans, or are you working?
Possibly! It was my first time going to a place like that. I wanted to try to do something different for my birthday and going there cost about as much as an all out dinner at Red Lobster so I say win win.

Oh! I thought you meant it was this past weekend, my bad! I don't know who the Bleachers are either.

Ah, twisting your ankle doesn't sound fun. I've yet to break any bones/twist any bones. I've sprained my wrist like 10 years ago but that's been about it.

No weekend plans as of yet and I don't know if I'm working. I hope not, because I just kind of want a weekend in since this past weekend was super busy between Skyzone and bug bombing but I could use the extra money so it's whatever if I do. Work doesn't feel crazy or horrible if I work extra hours now that I'm in a department that's a lot more laid back and not quite so hard on my body.
I feel ya. Weekends in are nice after a busy weekend. Also, Happy belated birthday! :D Work is nice when you are somewhere your body can handle and you have the pattern down for how the day is gonna go. That is why I like working with certain crews and absolutely hate my life when working with others in road work. One gets a feel for how certain people work or run things and one knows how to work with them. Then there are those that don't do shit and it all falls on one to do it all. -_-

Today is a bit of a lazy day for me. I was a little bummed to find out my boyfriend had mistaken my recycling bags for garbage and he dragged it out to the road for trash pickup when he got home from work this morning. By the time I realized they were gone, it had already been picked up by the trash service. I was so mad at myself for not telling him, but being off work like this is unusual for me and my days blur together, so I had no idea that today was trash pickup day when I spent all that time organizing it into types yesterday. It was going to give me something to do today, so I could take it to the recycling center two towns over. I know he thought he was helping, but it sorta removed my reason for getting out of the house today. I don't want to drive around aimlessly because I need to conserve my fuel due to lack of current income, but staying home like this drives me nuts.

Work did finally decide to acknowledge my existence again and called me this morning. Lots of bs about trying to make me leave on Monday in the morning when I had selected Monday as part of my time off request I put in back in November for the concert. I told them Tuesday would be fine for me to depart. Then they call me back three hours later telling me I need to be at their office by 7am Monday. The concert is Sunday night and it is two hours from my house. A friend happens to live in the city and I was planning on staying with her Sunday night so I could be rested for my drive home. I told them Monday was not okay for the second time, they claimed I didn't say that the first time they called, when my specific words were Tuesday or anything after it was fine. I managed to talk the time down to 1pm on Monday. They'll be putting me on a plane to North Carolina. So I will do my best to enjoy the concert, but I am not so thrilled about having to either drive tired to get home, or get up super early and drive an unfamiliar and longer route to the office Monday morning. Plus, I'd have to pack all my work gear and take it with me. Nyar... Sorry for the vent!

I'm normally not so bummed like this. I'm just upset because I was hoping to hear back from one of the many places I have taken the time to apply at since I've been home. (My hands have not been idle, I have been taking advantage of the downtime, lol) I've been wasting my life working jobs I don't really care for, just because I needed to pay bills. This time, I want a job working with animals and I am gonna go for it. So I am only bummed because four more positions I am qualified for popped up this morning, and I know I can't apply for them now because I'll have to be in Michigan in order to do the interview if they call me. So being out of state is grounds for them to pass me over even if they wanted me, because I will be unable to meet in person. I'll probably go read to take my mind off it and make some green tea. Perhaps get some dancing in if I can manage to perk up.

Sprained wrists suck, too. I have not had it happen to myself, but I have watched my friends deal with it. As for bones being broken, I have been lucky enough to make it this far without it. Although, I have broken other's bones (accidentally). I'm glad you haven't had to deal with broken bones or any major sprains! They aren't fun and they have the potential to cripple or make life difficult. How has your day been going?
My night actually went really well! I did single hung radius tops all night at work and up until I got to some that A SHIFT had already cut the heads off the frames so I could add the arch, I did really well! Still managed to get all of them welded within parameters, but they were smaller frames and because of their size, they don't sit flat on the saw table, which causes the saw to jerk (sounds safe, right?) when you cut the angle on them and I think whoever cut them had a hard time with them. They were a bitch to weld, let me tell ya.
Other than those last 3, I managed to weld everything spot on and have for the past couple of days, which makes me super happy because I love doing a good job. I'm that way all the time, even if I hate the job, because that's how I am, but when I enjoy doing something and I do it well, I get super excited. My boss thinks I'm nuts, but that's because he's worked in that department and it's predecessor (different department that got absorbed into the giant vinyl window line we're apart of) for 6-7 years and while I'm good with him, he definitely has an attitude and I can see how he can rub people the wrong way. Lol
Regardless, it was a good night.

I'm sorry they're making you fly out on Monday. That sounds like some shit the bosses at my job would pull...or...oh, yeah, my fucking parents used to pull that kind of shit with me (But you never said that!) all the time, too.
How long will you be gone? Maybe the jobs will still be open and you can apply when you know you'll be coming home soon? What kind of work would you like to do with animals? A friend of mine is trying super hard to get a job as a marine biologist but's she's having problems finding open positions even though she is way more than qualified.
Gotta love when other people f*** up on their end and make more work for the people that have to come along after them. Dalton used to work as a welder for a company that had military and construction contracts, so he would weld pieces together for all sorts of stuff, everything from tank parts to staircase railings. Some of the people that place hired...damn. That is all I can say. I can't imagine what type of idiots or the crap you've had to deal with where you work. What is your favorite stuff to weld there?

There is nothing more zen than getting into a groove at work, though. Don't get me wrong, my current job has bee way more awesome than any of my previous jobs. I love all the travel opportunities. My coworkers are awesome with the exception of two people out of the seventy employees. It really isn't a bad job, but the company is very unorganized and unprofessional For example, me sitting at home again after already being laid off for two winter months due to weather simply because one person decided they could get better pay trying to do a hot pour tar job with less people to make their paperwork look good. One shitty way to boost your numbers. As for how long...People are gone the duration of the job. So if the job takes six months, an employee is gone for six months.

After putting some thought into it, it is time. Summer semester starts up in May here, I am making arrangements with a breeder for a puppy from a litter that will be born in late summer, Dalton misses me and I miss being home at the end of a work day. In the job I have, I can't attend college, continue my dance classes, or even do regular home stuff. I'm away three to five months at a time and home for anywhere from three days to two weeks between jobs. So when I land in North Carolina, I will be putting in my two weeks and continuing my job hunt. Therefore, I will hopefully be gone for about two weeks give or take a few days fro travel time. The company will probably stick me on a bus to get home, since I don't see them blowing their money on a plane ticket for someone who won't be working for them anymore. Although I am leaving on good terms and have a good reputation with the company, so maybe they'll put me on a plane home to be nice? They're a multi-million dollar company (so they claim), so one plane ride home won't break them.

I am not being too picky with what type of job with animals. I've been looking at everything from farm jobs to pet store stuff. I've applied for an array of things such as a dog grooming position, kennel caretaker, veterinary office desk staff, and a few other caretaker jobs for shelters and animal clinics. Basic entry level stuff. I want to go back to school so I can get my degree and pursue a career in zoology or wildlife conservation.

Marine biology can actually be a very competitive field. A lot of the sciences are, to my surprise. When I graduated high school, I was initially studying to be an archaeologist, but I soon realized the field was very competitive and I was actually more interested in learning about it than doing it. So it was more of a hobby interest than a life's pursuit. That is part of the reason I have decided to start now with animal oriented jobs. Even though they may not be directly related to my end goal career, it is a start in the right direction toward getting me connections and experiences that will be helpful down the road.
I've only welded vinyl window frames and sashes. My first department is the same one Tony (my boss) came from and I absolutely loved the frame welder. I wish I had been able to spend more time on it before they shut my shift down on it because it was shutting down. I really enjoy what I do now, though, building architectural windows, but our one point welders are old and crappy and we have to constantly monitor them and even have to adjust the welds as they're welding or right after the welder is done. We'll hopefully be getting new welders sometime this year. But I'm not holding my breath.
Working in a factory means dealing with a LOT of idiots, especially since they underpay us for the kind of work we do and how they expect us to perform. Because of that, most of the good workers go onto to different and better things while the shitty ones could care less so they stay. It's beyond infuriating. But lucky for me, my shift has very few people on it. In total, if you include the guys that run the glazing line, I have 7 other guys in my crew. And they are all pretty awesome and some of the least whiniest men I have ever worked with, thank the gods.
The concert was awesome! I knew she did a lot of aerial arts in her show, but I wasn't expecting her to swoop over the entire audience for the grand finale. It reminded me of the Mary Martin Peter Pan musical from the 50's. In a good way. She flew around waving at the people way in the back that wouldn't normally get to see her very well. She is such a ball of energy and love. Thus far the best concert I've been to!
That's super awesome! Glad you had lots of fun!

Best concert I ever went to was Fort Rock last year. I got to see some of my favorite bands live. Wish I could go this year, but bills and other financial responsibilities have denied me that. Oh well. Lol
I know the feeling. I am usually broke when something exciting that I want to go to is announced. Every once in a while, I get lucky. Speaking of luck, the crew I am on in NC has my only two disliked coworkers all bundled in one place. However, I was fortunate enough to escape the one after a few days due to another employee failing their drug test for a job out in New Orleans so they swapped. They both are on shit, but the one at least tries to buy pee from people so she can pass. The one remaining is doing their best to make my last two weeks as miserable as possible since she found out I'm moving on. She's sucking at it, though. I don't let petty people get to me, but I do feel sad for them. The only person I told was the foreman in confidence, because I had to notify him for the resignation to be noted. So I assume he ran his mouth to everyone that didn't need to know, because no one else out here knew I was leaving. We are on night shift out here, so I don't get to see the sun, really. Kinda depresses me. Everyone leaves on Wednesday to go home for Easter, so I won't be working a full two weeks. I don't care at this point because the rain has been screwing us out of work as it is. So if I am gonna be broke, might as well do it at home. It'll be nice to have a job where I can come home to my house everyday like I used to. I miss Dalton and my cat, Shadow too much.
Oh my god petty people are the WORST to work with.

Like this one dude that worked in my old department (he got fired for shooting his mouth off to the group leader and I died laughing so hard when I found this out. It was the greatest thing ever) was just beyond freaking petty. I think because he had a kid at 14, he decided to do the reverse and be a teenager at 35.
Two best examples I got:

I was building frames and he was in one of the direct spots that fed my spot and I caught up to him. I jump over to help because I don't, for the most part, like to just stand around and do nothing (plus I was one of the ones they always chose to yell at if I stood around here and there) and he tells me he doesn't need help. I just shrug at him and tell him I waiting on him so he obviously does. This motherf***** storms off, goes whines to our team leader, and as they're walking back I hear him saying something like "so either I don't get any help or I can go up front and she can do her spot and my spot by herself".
I was like REALLY? My team leader didn't even have the balls to tell him to suck it up and take the help. He just told me to go help another spot that didn't actually need help.

Example 2: This is the same shift, actually, and I believe a result of example 1. This dude decided to, instead of putting finished material in my rack for me to build as he finishes them, to put them back in HIS rack and just give me one at a time. I thought about saying something, but decided to just let him have his petty pity party because all he was doing was creating more work for himself and if someone came over and asked me why I was going slow, I would just point them in his direction and go "he's got like 10 done but only giving me 1 at a time. Ask him"
He got tired of it eventually and stopped only giving me 1 at a time.

Man, people kill me. One of the material handlers yesterday before I came in got mad because our group leader told him he needed to put the material in our material racks because, well, THAT'S HIS JOB, and mixed up different materials and purposefully smacked into some of the air lines with it (we're talking 16-18ft sticks of material here) because of it.
Like, why the fuck would you try to pull this shit at work? Just do your damn job and go home. Sure, I have my nights where I'm like "Screw this" and I don't move at my usual pace or I bitch, but I still, at least 90% of the time, do my damn job because, even though it sucks, they freaking pay me. Jeez.
Oh, yes. Petty people are illogical, but they make for some silly stories to laugh about when they're no longer applicable in your life. Your coworker sounds like a real winner (or maybe wiener) lol! So far I've been dealing with the usual crap out here. Just got a text for no work tonight due to weather, so I'll probably spend it on Roli and watching Netflix or something. I was dancing earlier, but I am kinda danced out for the moment.

When I first got out here, me and the new guy I drove out arrived at 3 AM. It would have been 1 AM, but there was a semi that somehow rolled itself and landed horizontally across all four lanes of traffic, which put the highway flow to a standstill for two hours. The Kicker, we were literally five minutes away from our exit we needed to get to the hotel. So we sat in traffic twice. It was horrible pouring rain from West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina. All the other states we drove down through from Michigan were clear. We actually sat through two accidents that were 30 minutes apart. So the first hour of no moving, we were about 36 minutes from the hotel, the semi rollover was the second one when we were five minutes away and sat for another hour. We finally get to the front desk and they don't have a room for the new guy I brought down. So I call the foreman, he comes down arranges for the new guy to sleep on the couch in a room with a couple guys until tomorrow when there will be an open room. I already had a room waiting for me, so I was set.

As soon as I got my key the foreman told me to follow him first. He takes me to where one of my "favorite" coworkers are at and he says she's been whining about it all day so he wants to take care of it now that I'm here. He asks for my room key, so I hand it to him and he swaps keys with her and hands me her old key. I could not fucking believe this. A little back story, I have been with the company a year and three months, she has been here before for six months, but left and came back a year later, so technically her seniority has reset and she has only been here another six months since her return. I say that because there was an older gentleman that had been with the company for five years, left for two years and came back. So he has been here for about eight months. His seniority reset because he left. When one hotel we were at was short on rooms, they squeezed him into a one bedroom with another guy who had been with the company a year and a half. The year and a half guy got the bed because he had seniority, meanwhile the gentleman who had put in five years before, got the couch. This is unfair to deny that gentleman his seniority from previous years worked and give it to this younger girl simply because of the blatant fact that everyone wants to fuck her. I don't care if she is given seniority, but it is not right to treat others different than her by not giving it to them as well.

That being said, what was happening, is because there were already two female employees down here, I was going to be put in my own room. She got upset when she found out I was coming and getting a room to myself, so she wanted it. I didn't really care, because I am pretty chill and don't mind a room mate. Plus she has done this shit before where we have been on a job together and didn't want to room with me, so she would ask the foreman to move me to another job so she could have the room to herself. Anyone else I have ever roomed with has never had a problem with me, so I assume she has some sort of inferiority complex where she has to be the only female around to feel good about herself, because she does this to other gals out here as well. I swear this chick throws a tantrum like she is twelve.

After all that is said and done and she moved her crap into her new room, I am left with her dirty bed sheets, a bathroom full of dirty towels and a salty roommate who also doesn't want to room with me because she just doesn't like me. I really don't know why, but she is another sad petty person. Every other gal out here is great with the exception of those specific two. A couple days later, it is time for my salty room mate to leave for New Orleans, which means that I'll have a room to myself for a short bit. The strange part is that when the girl who failed her drug test arrived for this job, they put her in the room with the girl who hates having a roommate instead of with me. So I was surprised that I got the room to myself in the end. Now she keeps getting in my face screaming that I owe her $30 for some high speed internet she paid for in that room. I told her I didn't know about it, didn't ask for it, and don't have anything that uses it, so I am not paying for shit.Also asked why she didn't hit up the salty roommate for it when she was there long before me. Besides that I didn't even have $30 when I came here and with the way payroll works, I won't see any of the money I made out here until after the two weeks I worked are over and I have left NC and the company. Apparently she couldn't transfer the internet service to her other room, so I offered to switch rooms with her because unlike her, I'm not a dick and I know how I'd feel if I paid for something I couldn't use. Apparently she already bought internet in her other room, too. Which is unfortunate, but not my fault. If she wouldn't have been too big of a petty coward to politely explain her situation with the internet when she found out and ask if she could return to her old room she was so intent on having me crammed into, she wouldn't be out $30.

Part of me thinks she did it on purpose just so she could try to make me feel obligated to pay her $30 because of her situation. All the times she has approached me about it she has been rude and assertive in an aggressive manner. I explained the situation to the foreman last night when we worked so that he knew there was an issue in the event that it should escalate, he'll know why and he will have record of me trying to find a peaceful resolution before anything else happened.

Although, at this point, pretty much the only thing I can offer her is my ramen noodles I've been living off of since I got here. Any further confrontation with her is just going to result in me singing over her talking because I'm done with the crap. I think that will be the only form of communication I resort to having with her from here on out. I'll just sing until she gives up on talking to me. lol!

I prefer iced coffee. I actually never have hot co[…]

No one wants to come in and just chat here? Did I […]

Help us keep Roliana alive and running!